Squash Plants

What Is Eating My Squash Buds?

robynette added on June 14, 2012 | Answered

The flowers of my squash plants have not had the chance to bloom and something has eaten them. I've been checking for slugs, but haven't seen any yet. We also have rats that we have been trying to get rid of. Has anyone else had this same problem?

They are most likely not being eaten. This is typical behavior for a squash plant. They will produce mostly male (non-fruiting) blossoms early in the season and will gradually start to produce more female blossoms as the season progresses. The male blossoms typically drop from the plant and seemingly disappear. Give it some time and you will see it start fruiting.

As for the rats, this article should help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/eliminate-rats-in-gardens.htm

00
Here are more questions about Squash Plants