What Is Considered the “Crown” Of the Parsley

TxGrowman added on May 11, 2015 | Answered

I have been trying to grow Bonnie Flat Italian parsley UN-successfully for two years. Every year it is set out in the sun for 4-5 hours and then partial sun for the rest of the day. I have 6.0 pH soil and feed Alaska 5-1-1 fish fertilizer. I follow directions on the bottle and put in 5ml/gallon.The only thing that I can think could be that I am burying the crown of the plant and it will not grow.

The plant crown is where the plant stem meets the roots. Most plants are planted so that the crown is at soil level.

How have you been watering your italian parsley? Are you allowing the soil to dry out partially between watering? Judging by the photo, and correct me if I am wrong, but your soil looks like it could be a little damp/soggy? That would cause your plant to respond this way.

And how often have you been fertilizing it? It is also possible it has been over-fertilized. Potted parsley plants may be fertilized monthly with a half dilution of liquid plant food.

For information on how to grow italian parsley, please visit the following link:

Guess my biology failed me there. They were buried about 1 1/2 inches too deep and were fixed as soon as I got the information. It looked really wet because we put diatomaceous Earth on the top and had just watered. I try not to overwater as I have lost many plants in the past due to that mistake. I cleaned up the soil around the plant and took the dead matter out. Looks much better now. I have been feeding only every other week with half strength nutrients and it wasn't doing good, but that could have been from planting it improperly. Will try every week nutrients and cut down more on the water. Thanks.

Here are more questions about Parsley