What Is Burrowing My Trees

S G added on April 21, 2018 | Answered

Hello, I am really mad... My trees are going to die again:( Two yeas ago I removed 3 cheery trees because they were eaten with holes. When removing trees I dug in to the core of the tree and found this larvae (see pic). I did not bother to identify thinking trees were dead so what's the point... not so fast. At the time of trees removal, I planted three new trees (japanese redbuds) in the same places and today I noticed that bark was breaking up with few holes, identical to the ones I saw on my dead trees from two years ago. Please help me identify these bugs! What should I do/ treat now? Thank you in advance SG

Those are tree borer larva. When they are already inside the tree, it is often too late to save them. The best that you can do is prevent them. This article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/tree-borer-insects.htm

00
S G

Article says that I need to identify borer, how can it be done? is there a resource I can use? Thank you

00