Mimosa Trees

What Climate Is Best for Mimosa

Would a mimosa tree be suitable for New Zealand climate? Can you advise, as I would like to have highly perfumed trees or shrubs. My son and family have just got their own home there and I want to send them something for their new garden.

Answered on November 30, -0001

Yes, this tree should do fine there. It requires well-drained soil and full sun. Tolerates wind and drought. When dormant are hardy to about -20°C. but only hardy to about -10°C in the maritime climate of this country. The young growth in spring, even on mature plants, is frost-tender and so it is best to grow the plants in a sheltered location. If killed back to the ground by a severe winter, plants can often resprout from the base. Plants are quite tolerant of pruning and is best done in late winter or early spring.

00
Here are more questions about Mimosa Trees