Mountain Laurels

Will Mountain Laurels Grow in South Mississippi?

donnaprince added on May 4, 2015 | Answered

I have purchased two mountain laurels from Tennessee and would like to know how to plant them and if they will grow in my area. We live in South Mississippi.

When determining whether a plant is appropriate for a certain region we must take into account both the cold tolerance and heat tolerance of the plant. Mountain laurel is designated for USDA plant hardiness zone 5 through 9. South Mississippi is zone 8. So that checks out. And, depending on your location in south mississippi, your AHS heat zone is either 8 or 9. Mountain Laurel's AHS heat zone rating is in the ballpark of 8 or 9 for its threshold. Based on this information, I think they will grow in your area.

This article will give you information to get started with your mountain laurel planting:

Here are more questions about Mountain Laurels