Lilac Bushes

We’ve Moved Into a Property With a 75 Yr Old Lilac Bush

yret added on August 6, 2012 | Answered

Can we trim it? We would like to trim it back some so we can build next to it but do not want to harm it in any way. I've heard that trimming into these very old bushes can cause damage and keep them from regrowing. Please help. We're under a time crunch.

Yes, you can trim it. However, I would not prune it back by more than 1/3 in any one year. Cutting it back further than that could harm the plant. This article should help with that: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/lilac/pruning-lilac-bushes-when-to-trim-lilac-bushes.htm

00
JenJM

I trim mine back every year. I wouldn't get too severe, but cutting it back actually is good for it. It promotes new growth which will promote more blossoms.

00
wdbeale

I can't kill mine. I have trimed it to the soil level. It apparently produces suckers and I plan to dig up the roots to get rid of the plant.

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes