Zoysia Grass

Weed Killer on Dormant Zoysia

Anonymous added on January 9, 2014 | Answered

I have plugged Zoysia over the past 10 years and now have a nice looking lawn except a few weeds continue to grow. I know Zoysia is suppose to choke them out, but it just seems like it's not happening. I have been told you can spray Roundup on dormant Bermuda and it will kill weeds. Is the same true of Zoysia? Can I spray while it is dormant and kill the weeds and not damage the Zoysia in the spring and summer?

Technically, this would work. The problem is that the grass has to be 100% dormant and weed killer has to be applied when the temperatures are above freezing (which would mean the grass could start to come out of dormancy). It can be tricky. If you are going to try this, I would only spot apply the weed killer and only after the grass is well into dormancy.

00
Here are more questions about Zoysia Grass