Gardenia Plants

Webs on Gardenia Plant

I received a gardenia plant and noticed webs forming on the leaves. I tried to get them off but they still came back. What can I do to correct this? Also, I live in the northeast, PA to be exact. Can I plant the gardenia outside?

Sounds like either spider mites or a mealy bug infestation. Both of which can be treated with neem oil. Here is an article or two that you may find helpful:

As long as temps don't fall below 20 F. for extended periods, gardenias can survivie outdoors just fine. If it falls below this, the plant will need to come inside for winter. If grown outdoors, I would recommend placing it in a sheltered location to help protect it during any unusual cold spells. Also, in the event of heavy frost or freeze warnings, you may want to cover it. Here is more info that should help:

Here are more questions about Gardenia Plants