Fig Tree

We Just Inherited a Property With a Large Fig Tree. (10′ Tall 12-16′ Wide)

terex added on April 16, 2012 | Answered

The bottom limbs are touching the ground, some have rooted. Can I prune this tree without harming it? And how? Any advice will help I am sure. I am not a gardener, but I do have a saw. This tree belonged to my wife's sister and she would never let anyone prune it.

Terex

00
SusiMINZ

Further to my earlier comment:- Regarding the lower limbs which have taken root - it will do no harm to remove these limbs as the "layered" roots are not part of the main root system, however, I highly recommend sealing the cuts. The layered root branches may be suitable to "pot up" and give to friends. Pruning instructions are the same as for most fruit trees. The crop following a severe pruning may not be very generous, but the following year expect a good harvest.

00
SusiMINZ

An ardent fig lover, I found this very helpful info on e-how.

https://www.ehow.com/how_5480319_prune-fig-trees.html

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree