Mulberry Trees

Mulberry Tree With Large Knobs

PJohnson added on May 8, 2015 | Answered

We have a Mulberry tree with large knobs all over the trunk. We had 3 large branches with full foliage break off. The wood in the center of the broken branch is dark with the outer inch light in color. Leaves are small this year and there are suckers growing out of the trunk. Are these symptoms of the end of its life span? I was told by extension that a Mulberry tree life span is 25-35 years, but that isn't what I'm reading online. Thanks for the help!

I think your tree either has some type of gall or canker. I recommend that you review the information below and see if anything resonates with you.

Small leaves in particular can be a sign of sooty canker fungus. For more information on sooty canker and cankers in general, please visit the following links:

Here are some article on gall:

Here are more questions about Mulberry Trees