Pole Beans

Watering Pole Beans

Anonymous added on January 8, 2014 | Answered

I have planted Blue Lake pole beans for the past three years and get a great crop of beautiful vines and lots of blooms. The few beans that I get are large and lumpy looking. Someone told me that I was giving them too much water during the initial growth. They are grown in a raised bed in Tallapoosa County, AL with full sun and watered three times a week for 45 minutes by the sprinkler system. I see a lot of bees in the garden and the soybeans do well producing a good crop. Soil is analyzed by AU and corrected. Any suggestions?

Water after planting until the top 2 to 3 inches of soil are damp. Then once established in the garden, your pole beans need at least an inch of water per week. They should not be allowed to dry out but also cannot tolerate soggy soils. Overwatered plants will generally turn yellow (especially lower leaves) and wilt.

00
Here are more questions about Pole Beans