Broccoli Plants

Volunteer Broccoli Immediately Bolting

Redrovr10 added on June 14, 2016 | Answered

I grew broccoli last year that went to seed. This year I have volunteers growing but aren't growing any type of head; instead, they're going straight to bolting/flowering. Is there any way to prevent this? Where did I go wrong?

kh0001

I'm sorry your broccoli bolted! You can cut what "would" have been the main heads off and with some TLC you might be able to keep the side heads from bolting, but they will probably stay small, if they form heads at all.

Extra water and a thick layer of mulch will help. The roots of broccoli plants need to stay cool -- heat getting to the roots is what causes broccoli to bolt.

This article may help you save what's left of your broccoli harvest this year, and will give you good tips on how to better prepare for next year:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/broccoli/bolting-broccoli-growing-broccoli-in-hot-weather.htm

00
Here are more questions about Broccoli Plants