Virginia Creeper Plants

Virginia Creeper Has Stopped Growing

remod added on September 11, 2014 | Answered

I planted a Virginia creeper late spring and it was initially growing 1 inch per day for the first month or so. For the last 1 to 1.5 months, it has stopped growing. I'm concerned that because it is in a fairly small planter box on my deck to grow up my privacy fence, that there simply isn't enough soil/nutrients to support the root system. Should I be re-planting the creeper into the ground below so that there is ample soil? The other concern is that I want to make sure the roots have time to recover before the snow comes. Ideas?

I've read some reports of Canadians growing virginia creeper, both in the ground and in containers. If you want to keep it containerized (some people advise this to keep it under control,) using something larger such as a half barrel would give you all the size you need. Or you could put it into the ground; a mulch cover of several inches should ensure the roots survive the winter. This article has some more advice:

Here are more questions about Virginia Creeper Plants