Viburnum Shrubs

Viburnums – No Blooms

I have three viburnums that were selected and planted by a well-respected local nursery. Since they were planted, they have rarely bloomed -- two have never bloomed, and one has has one small bloom on two occasions (although, the foliage looks very healthy). I have never pruned them, but have tried soil supplements (like Holly Tone) as recommended by the nursery. I am told that the plants are too comfortable where they are and that they need phosphorous. Can you help?

If your viburnum doesn't bloom, it could be because the species you have planted isn't appropriate for your growing zone. Too much fertilizer that is nitrogen-rich can also discourage viburnum from blooming. The age of your plant can be another factor. If the plant is too young, it might not be ready to bloom. They also need lots of sun.

Here are more questions about Viburnum Shrubs