Papaya Trees

Vegetables for Very Rainy Climate

drewsallover added on September 3, 2015 | Answered

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what vegetables might grow in an extremely rainy tropical part of Costa Rica. It is so rainy that we often go many days with no sun. It is frequently overcast even when not raining. So far, I have harvested only plantains, planted by the previous resident. I have planted papayas, casava (yuca), cowpeas, Ceylon spinach, taro. But all (except taro and yuca) are straining to grow and am yet to see if any of them produce. I do occasionally eat the spinach, but it grows slowly and was surprised to find on the internet that the vines can grow quite large. Many other things I planted hardly even sprouted. Even sweet potatoes are taking a while to get going. I am very frustrated since I have put a lot of work into it, most recently creating two banana circles (with plantains). Lots of bananas and pineapples are grown in this area for export. But few people grow vegetables for home use since everybody prefers those from other zones (cabbage, onions, carrots, cauliflower, red beans, tomatoes, etc). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that may offer some tips and vegetables to try.

Good luck.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/growing-veggies-in-tropics.htm

00
Here are more questions about Papaya Trees