Broccoli Plants

Vegetables Grow in Shade

Anonymous added on January 28, 2011 | Answered

Is it possible to obtain information about what vegetables could grow in shade or partial shade? I live outside Gainesville, Florida. Years ago I was living in Tennessee and planted broccoli in partial shade (slightly under a tree) in May and it started producing in July during the heat of summer. The broccoli did not bolt and since I had planted twenty plants (thinking that some of the plants would not survive), I supplied friends and half of the county with lots of free broccoli. What types of veggies would produce in shade/partial shade during the hot, wet months of summer here in Florida?

Any plant that is considered a cool weather vegetable will do ok in the shade during hot weather. Cole crops, like broccoli, cabbage and greens, are some, as well as lettuce and peas.

Here are more questions about Broccoli Plants