Manure Fertilizer

Using Steer Manure Compost

I'm setting my garden up in 4'x 4'x 7" raised beds. Each bed needs 8 cubic feet of soil to fill it. (Or so the box says that they come in.) My question is, how much steer manure compost does each box need? And if I'm using Miracle Grow Garden soil, does it even need it? And finally, I have read on other sites that it is best to work compost into the soil in the fall, should I do that with the raised beds as well? The compost I have is the prepackaged stuff that I purchased at the nursery if that makes a difference. Thanks so much for your help.

Most Steer manure is available in two cubic feet (2 ft³) size bags. The following should help you determine how much Steer manure you will need in your application. One bag of Steer manure per 200 ft² (20'*10') at a thickness of 1/8 inch. Here is an article that you may find helpful: Even with Miracle Gro soil, it doesn't hurt to mix in compost or manure. While it is usually better to add compost in fall, you can still do so during spring planting if you missed out in fall.

Here are more questions about Manure Fertilizer