Garden Problems

Using Loam

I have a garden bed on a fairly steep hill. I mulch every year but it seems as though the bed is getting more and more concave. Should I fill in with loam? If so, how much and can I spread it over the existing mulch (from last year)? Thanks!

What type of garden is it? It sounds as if your soil is washing. You can move your mulch to the side to add additional loam and then replace it afterward. You might also want to consider planting a ground cover on the hill to help with this. Vinca minor, ivy and pachysandra are all popular choices for hillside plantings. They all stay green year round, spread quickly, grow low and need almost no care once established. You could also implement terraces for your garden plants, especially if you are working with vegetables. This article will help with hillside veggies: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/slope-hill/growing-vegtable-garden-hill.htm

00
Here are more questions about Garden Problems