Bradford Pear Trees

Uprooting a Bradford Pear Tree

I planted a Bradford pear tree about 12 years ago. It's not growing too good where it's located. My neighbor's oak tree next door is shading the tree and it's growing toward the sun. Is it possible to uproot it and replant it somewhere else in my yard where it gets full sun?

If the tree is not too large, then you might be able to transplant it--but I would do so now (in spring) before it gets too hot, otherwise wait until fall. When transplanting, make sure you dig up as much of the root system as possible and place it in a large enough hole to accommodate these roots. It needs sun and well-draining soil. You may also want to consider trimming the tree to reduce shock. Be sure to give it plenty of water while the tree establishes itself in the new location. Here is an article that you may find helpful:

Here are more questions about Bradford Pear Trees