Beets

Undesized Beets in Raised Bed

ktsenya2 added on November 17, 2017 | Answered

I made raised beds and filled them with Kelloggs raised bed mix about 5 months ago. Have about an inch of mushroom compost on the very bottom. (I have seen some thin spindly mushroom stems come up but fall over in a day). PLanted Brocolli, cauliflower, lettuce, beets and radish. I live in zone 23-24 (s calif near coast). The beets show good foliage but the root is about the size of a marble. Brocolli and cauliflower only sprout an inch or so then nothing else. I apply an 8-8-8 organic fertilizer once a month They get burbler water 4x each day for one min each time. Ground is moist 1/2 inch down. So disappointed Im thinking about giving up on veg gardening What could I possibly be doing wrong? Bob Sankey 858 229 8753 coastalserve@gmail.com

The cause of this is usually a lack of phosphorus in the soil. Too much nitrogen in the soil can do this as well. Here is a link for more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beets/beets-small-or-deformed.htm

00
Here are more questions about Beets