Turnips

Turnips, Root Vegetables

My turnips, beets and rutabagas are growing leaves but it seems like the vegetable will grow above ground, except there is no vegetable there. Just a sliver of something that started to grow. Should I wait a while? I've never planted these three together before. They are in the same raised bed with completely new soil. I've watered regularly. So it seems like there is no root vegetable growing but in the place where it should be growing, is sticking up out of the ground and the leaves are falling over. Help!

All of these root crops need somewhat cooler temps and loose soil to properly form a bulb. If you are noticing more top growth and little to no bulb formation, it is likely due to a fertilizing/nutrient issue. While a soil test would allow you to know for certain, it may be that you have too much nitrogen and too little phosphorus. Lots of nitrogen will result in plenty of leafy growth but if your soil is lacking phosphorus, there will be poor root growth. I would add some more phosphorus, like bone meal, to the soil and give it some more time. Also, make sure the plants are adequately mulched to keep the soil cooler.

00
Here are more questions about Turnips