I planted tulip bulbs for the first time last fall. After they bloomed this spring, I was not happy with their layout. What is the best way to replant these bulbs (ie: can I simply dig them up this fall and transplant them to the desired location and formation)? Also, I notice that most tulip planting directions recommend bulbs be planted 6 inches apart - is there harm in planting the bulbs closer together to get a more clustered effect when they bloom in the spring? Thank you!

Yes, you can do that with your tulip bulbs. While 5-6 inches is the norm for spacing, 3-4 inches is also doable. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/tulips/tulips-care-and-tulip-planting-tips.htm

Here are more questions about Tulips