Tulips

Tulips

LeRoy added on May 5, 2012 | Answered

I dug up all of my tulips about 3 years ago. Now here is my question. I did not replant them but I have more tulips coming up than I took out. Do the bulbs split or do the flowers turn to seed? After the flowers die, do I leave them until the leaves die then cut the dried stuff off?

Yes, tulips can produce additional bulbs, which you likely missed while taking them out, resulting in more bulb production. They can propagate through seeds as well but reseeding would be rare, though not impossible.

Once the flowers die back, you can remove the spent blooms and stems. Do not remove the leaves, however, as they will need them for energy in making new bulbs for next season's blooms. Allow them to die back naturally.

00
Here are more questions about Tulips