Tulips

Tulip Bulbs

LBrown added on April 22, 2017 | Answered

I have some tulips that I planted 20 years ago that get leaves but no longer flower. Are they too deep or do I need to feed them? Thank you for your help!

Liz Baessler

It sounds like your tulip bulbs need to be divided. Twenty years is long time, and all the while the bulbs have been multiplying underground, crowding each other. When the bulbs become too crowded, they usually stop flowering. This usually takes only a couple of years.

The good news is that you can easily divide them. The better news is that you're probably going to have a bumper crop of bulbs that you can spread around your garden and gift to friends. By next spring they should be flowering well again.

This article should cover everything you need to know about dividing tulips: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/tulips/dividing-tulip-bulbs.htm

00
Here are more questions about Tulips