Tulips

Tulip Bulbs

asedgewick added on December 1, 2014 | Answered

I am getting married this June! My fiance's last name is Tulip and we would love to give tulip bulbs as wedding favors...but the wedding weekend is June 20. Is this an appropriate gift, if people can't plant them until October? Will I even be able to find tulip bulbs around this time?

I think any plant you want to give is an appropriate gift. :)

As for being able to find them at that time, that will be difficult. Stores will not carry them and catalogs don't typically ship them at that time of year. But, that does not mean that you can't call some of the bulb catalog companies to see if they will work with you on that. They mostly don't ship them simply because no one is interested in buying them. Since you are, then there is no problem.

You could also buy some now and store them for June, though they will have a decreased viability in June and will need to be planted ASAP by your guests. I suppose you could also pot them up for your guests a few weeks ahead of time and they should be just popping up about the time of your wedding and will bloom a bit later to remind them of you and your wedding. It would be a kind of reversed forcing.

00
Here are more questions about Tulips