Trumpet Vines

Trumpet Vine

Bett added on July 31, 2016 | Answered

When I first saw it in the backyard I thought it was a dead tree. It was about 5 1/2 feet tall and approx.4-6" in circumference. I soon found out that it was a trumpet vine! A pleasant surprise! It was covered in foliage and blooms that summer and last. I so enjoyed watching the hummers feed from it! My daughter hires a business couple to mow the lawn and trim. July 20 the female half of the "team" took it upon herself to cut it back to about 2 ft. from the ground. I have NO IDEA why, and I'm too angry to talk to her right now and be polite! My question is: do you think it will come back? Or should I demand that they replace it? (I've already made them "unhappy" by telling they couldn't spray Bayer (w/2-4-D in my backyard-- oh well!) Any help you can give would be appreciated! I tried to attach a picture of it but I am unable to (on a tablet)- or don't know how. I can, however attach it to my email. If you would let me know what your email address is. Thanks for your help and have a great day! Betty B.

I'm sorry the landscaper cut down your Trumpet Vine!

The good news: pruning a Trumpet Vine down to the ground actually encourages stronger development the following year.

The bad news: this is very much the wrong time of year to prune a Trumpet Vine.

The good news and the bad news "might" cancel each either out. You could get lucky and see very healthy new shoots next spring. Or the plant may now be so stressed that it's susceptible to disease & pests, and will not come back at all. I vote let's be the eternal optimists and leave it alone for the rest of the year while hoping for the best.

Here's an article on pruning Trumpet Vines the correct way. Feel free to share it with any inexperienced landscapers you may know ;-)

Here are more questions about Trumpet Vines