Wisteria Vines

Trimming Wisteria

We have an old wisteria on house wall with several windows. It grows very quickly and I have to trim it 3 or 4 times each summer to stop it from covering windows and growing into eaves. We get hardly a flower over our 32 years here, presumably because I keep removing flowering shoots. Any suggestions as how I can identify which bits to remove and to what length so that it will flower? I have no choice but to trim it or we would become wisteria prisoners! It would look beautiful if covered with flowers. Another one over a very old garden shed is never trimmed and is covered in flowers.

Once wisteria is established, you can cut it back significantly without harming it. Though, as you noticed, you may be cutting out some of the blooming wood. This article will help with suggestions for the blooming problem: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/wisteria/wisteria-blooming-problems.htm

00
Here are more questions about Wisteria Vines