Lilac Bushes

Trimming Overgrown Lilac Bush

Gail P. Smith added on June 8, 2016 | Answered

I live in Davenport, Iowa and today is June 8. My lilac bush hasn't been trimmed in about 3 years and it is hardly blooming and in desperate need of a trim. All I've read says the best time to trim would be "early spring." Is it too late to go ahead and trim the bush? It does provide great shade for my patio all thru the summer, so if I must wait until next year, it won't be w/o some benefit. :D However, what would happen if I tried trimming it in the fall? I can wait if that is a bad idea. Thanks for your site. I appreciate the concise and accurate information you provide. Gail P. Smith

LuvaLeigh

You can trim once the its blooms are spent if your anxious to get it taken care of soon. I am attaching an article that will tell you more about lilac bush pruning.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/lilac/pruning-lilac-bushes-when-to-trim-lilac-bushes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes