Dogwood Trees

Tree Sucker Roots

I have sucker roots that come up through the ground at the base of Flowering Crab, dogwood and maple trees. When I cut them off flush with the ground with pruning shears, they just seem to multiply and more of them come back. How do I get rid of them permanently?

This article should help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/tree-sucker-removal-and-tree-sucker-control.htm

Undiluted Round-up will help kill the roots. You will need to wound the roots (normally, people cut the suckers down and use those wounds) and then paint the undiluted Round-up on the wounds. The bigger or more wounds you paint, the better.The roots will suck the Round-up in and it will kill them. You may have to repeat the process a few times to fully kill the roots if the root system is still strong.

00
Here are more questions about Dogwood Trees