Hydrangea Plants

Tree Hydrangea Damage

Anonymous added on December 13, 2010 | Answered

I have 2 new tree hydrangeas in my backyard, planted this fall, about 5. 5-feet high presently. We had a snowstorm this week, and the weight of snow and ice on the dead flowers that had yet to fall off caused a large limb to nearly snap. The top of the limb was resting on the ground, but the limb was still attached to the tree by just a bit more than bark. The split is at the point where the main trunk branches out into 4 or 5 limbs. I'm currently holding it back in position with athletic tape. Any chance it survives? Is there a better way to increase my chances? I planted thetwo close together on my back lot line for some privacy, and they're about the same size. I'll be really bummed if it can't be repaired, as it makes one much smaller/less full than the other.

It probably cannot be repaired, but the steps you have taken are what you can do to at least give it a chance. Don't write them off yet as not being able to achieve the same size. They can fill in rapidly, so in a year or so, the size difference may not even be noticeable.

00
Here are more questions about Hydrangea Plants