Treating Rose Rust Fungus

clutterbuns added on February 23, 2012 | Answered

I just read about spraying to rid my roses of rust fungus. I live in southern California and my roses are just beginning to grow new sprouts. I was wondering if it might be easier to cut back all stems, maybe treat the the stumps and let healthy growth sprout back?

This is a reasonable way to treat rust. As long as you are catching at in the active growth time (which sounds like you are), you should be fine.

00
clutterbuns

Hi Heather, I received notice of your answer to my question about rose rust. When I looked for the answer the box was empty. I have 3 plants with this problem. One's in a pot which was really bad last season. I cut it back and it looks ok SO FAR this season. The other two were vines that sprouted out of the ground from someone who had previously tried to dig them out ( I just moved here). Their about 3 ft. high now. The other day I went out and picked off the first little branch of 5 leaves at EVERY juction which were all full of rust leaving just a nub of sprouts in each place. Can you try to send me your answer again? Brenda

00