Raised Garden Beds

Treated/Planter Boxes

wcrobison added on March 14, 2012 | Answered

I have two (2) planter boxes made with 2" x 12". The dimensions are 4' x 12'. One is made with with pressurized treated wood and the other has an oil based cedar stain on it. What can I do to assure that no contamination is seeping into my soil? I have thought about a durable liner of some kind or a coat of tree seal. What do you suggest without replacing all the wood?

The pressure treated wood sold in today's stores are required to be non-toxic, so are therefore considered safe for gardening. But some people still feel unsure about them. If this is the case for you, you can line the beds with plastic. I have used the heaviest plastic drop cloths they have in the hardware store for this, and others have suggested rubberized liners for roofs and manure troughs that are available through feed stores.

00
Here are more questions about Raised Garden Beds