Sunflower Plants

Transplanting Sunflowers

My granddaughter has given me a sunflower seedling in a pressed paper container about the size of a Dixie cup. The seedling is about three inches tall and a few roots are coming out through the bottom of the container. How do I transplant my sunflower? Do I leave the seedling in the container? It looks as if the container will disintegrate as the seedling grows. Also, it is not yet above 50 degrees at night on a regular basis, but it is not freezing. Do we need to wait until it is? I want this little project to be successful, so would appreciate all of the help you can give me.

You can actually do one of two things: either carefully remove the seedling from the cup for planting or simply remove the bottom and plant the entire cup, which will eventually decompose. If your seedling has not developed a strong stalk, you may want to transplant it into a larger container (using one of the methods above) and then wait until temps warm up a bit. Then locate a sunny area for planting. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/sunflower/growing-sunflowers-in-your-garden.htm

00
Here are more questions about Sunflower Plants