Sago Palm Trees

Transplanting Mature Sago Palm

I have been given a mature (approximately 3' tall) sago palm that needs to be removed from its current location. It is located 25 miles from my home in 100* California heat. What is the best way to move this sago and transplant it in my front yard?

Sago palms do not like to be disturbed so any transplanting needs to be done with great care. Mature palms can be transplanted in early spring or late fall. Be sure to relocate the plant in a similar area, under the same or similar growing conditions--full sun, well-draining soil, etc. Include as much of the root system as possible when digging up and moving it. You may also want to consider trimming the plant back to prevent transplant shock. Here is an article that you may find helpful:

Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees