Lavender Plants

Transplanting in October in Zone 6

Robert1979 added on October 11, 2017 | Answered

Hello, I just bought five (1.5 gallon) lavender plants from HomeDepot. It is October 10, so they were marked 50% percent off and I couldn’t help myself. I live in Zone 6 and the Lavender (unknown type) is rated for -20F. My question is should I plant them now in October or will it not give them enough time to establish themselves and survive the winter. I have been reading online about winterizing perennials and some say you can just bury the pot and replant in the spring. Others advice to store them in a garage or basement. Thank you everyone in advance for their help, it’s greatly appreciated.

I would wait until spring to transplant them. I fear that they wouldn't have time to get well established before going dormant. They can live inside, as long as you keep them in a sunny window. Here is an article on their care: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/lavender/lavender-in-the-garden-information-and-growing-lavender-tips.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lavender Plants