Hibiscus Plants

Transplanting Hibiscus Plants

I have two Luna Hibiscus plants that are 2 years old. They have bloomed both summers and are now too large for the garden. I would like to move them to another area in my yard and would like to know how and when to move them. I live in S. Carolina and the plants have wintered well outside in the garden even though they both looked dead in the spring.

Early fall is a great time to transplant them. Don't wait too long into fall, or else the plants will not have time to establish before cold weather sets in. If you cannot do it this fall, spring is also a good time. Cut back the plants to 1/3 their size, then dig them up and replant elsewhere. Make sure to keep them watered well while establishing. Also, keep in mind there may be some stress associated with transplanting but this should improve once the roots become established in their new location.

Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants