Butterfly Bushes

Transplanting and Pruning a Butterfly Bush Plant

Joyce A Davidson added on April 5, 2017 | Answered

I live in Zone 5 and need to transplant my Butterfly Bush plant. I have not pruned it yet so need to know if I should transplant and then prune or prune before transplanting. Thank you. Joyce Davidson

Liz Baessler

Pruning before transplanting will make the move a whole lot easier. There'll just be less material to have to carry.

Butterfly bushes are really tough and can often stand to be pruned back almost to the ground in cold climates like yours. Go ahead and prune it as much as you normally would,then transplant it. It'll actually help the plant to have less material to have to feed while it adjusts to its new home.

You can read all about the transplanting process here: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/butterfly-bush/tips-for-transplanting-a-butterfly-bush.htm

00
Here are more questions about Butterfly Bushes