Joe Pye Weed

Transplanting Joe Pye Plant in Mid Summer added on August 14, 2016 | Answered

My cousin decided to uproot and discard her large Joe Pye plant and since I had the chance we took it and planted it in a well watered deep hole in a partly shady area a week ago. We watered it well on the days it did not rain. Now about 1/5 of the stalks have dark dead leaves all the way up and I am wondering if I should cut the stalks to a few inches above the ground and let the plant's energy just concentrate on the root system recovery. I do not know the best way to save it. More water? The soil is quite moist. Thank you.

It can be difficult to transplant successfully in the middle of the season, but your plant may recover. You will just have to wait and see. Here is some more information on possible treatments for transplant shock:

Here are more questions about Joe Pye Weed