Transplanted Rose Root System With Damaged Crown

A precious rose bush from an elderly friend--now in a nursing home--was to be mine for transplant. (I know now isn't the best time, but I had no choice.) Before I could dig it up, neighborhood children vandalized it, ripping the top portions off, right at the crown. Nothing left on the crown. I think the crown was damaged somewhat. Devastated, I dug up the underground root system, with about a 12" range from the crown. I got it into the ground at my place, right away. All I was left with was the top of the crown, visible on the surface. My question is, do I have any hope of this gorgeous old rose coming back next year? Of the root system sending up new canes for me? Or is this beauty (big, white with a red center) likely a goner? Do I have any hope at all?

Doreen's

Yes there is still hope. Just give it a chance, I would have put some bone meal in the hole before putting the plant down and made sure that I loosen the soil in a wide area around the plant to encourage spreading roots.

00