Palm Tree Problems

Transplanted Palms

cmc added on May 18, 2015 | Answered

I just bought 6 pygmy palms which the owner told me were about 15 years old. They aren't very big for being that old. He had them in 18x18 cement containers. They appeared almost bone dry when we took them out. No root damage, they came out relatively easy. Now, I am having a hard time trying to find a container big enough to put them in. I am wondering before I go spending over 100$ per pot if they will even live. As the picture shows, there is barely any dirt, only roots. They have been sitting for the past few days without a container but I have been dousing them with water. Should I fertilize? Will they live without a container? I have sandy dirt. Will they live in that? Also, there seems to be little yellow spots on the leaves...some from the inner growing leaves. Thanks for your help. I really want to save these little guys....

Pygmy Palms grow in zones 10 thru 11. Planting them into the ground would most likely not work.
I would suggest quickly getting them into containers to reduce the stress and plants from drying out.

Here is a link to proper care.

Here are more questions about Palm Tree Problems