Beefsteak Tomatoes

Tomatoes

ssmi26 added on July 29, 2016 | Answered

I planted Beefsteak and Supersteak tomatoes in my garden. They have been doing very well and have lots of small yellow flowers on them. However, I am not seeing any sign of fruit. Am I too anxious and need to wait longer? I grew them from seeds in a greenhouse and then moved the to the garden. I planted them when they had about 4 leaves and planted them around first part of June. Just wondering why I'm not seeing any small green tomatoes yet. Please advise. Sharon

kh0001

It "sounds" like you may have planted them pretty late in the season, but that depends on where you live and how soon your average temps got warm enough to put them in the ground.

That said, Beefsteak tomatoes are one of the varieties that take the longest to mature, so I wouldn't worry about those just yet.

Starting plants from seed is definitely the slower way to go -- I know, because I start almost all of my plants from seed, in late March or early April, so that they're already pretty mature by the time I plant them outside. A couple good rains typically jolts them into high gear, though, and by this time of year they're normally pretty large and healthy -- and bearing good-sized, highly visible fruit.

So at this point it's safe to say that the growth rate of your tomato plants is now depending on your average temps, soil condition, POLLINATORS (are you seeing bees or butterflies around your plants?) and water situation.

Here are some good tips on growing successful tomato plants:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/tips-for-growing-tomatoes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Beefsteak Tomatoes