Weed Control

Tiny Weeds in Mulch

mintchocchip584 added on March 14, 2017 | Answered

I have a parking strip with a small hydrangea in it. I spread mulch around the hydrangea and in the empty areas in the strip in the fall. Now that it's spring, I see teeny tiny weeds popping up all over the empty areas in the mulch. There are tons of them and they're very small---almost impossible to pull them all by hand. I usually use vinegar as a weed killer. Can I spray these little weeds to get rid of them, if I'm careful to avoid getting the vinegar on the hydrangea? Or will the vinegar that gets into the parking strip soil after I spray these weeds hurt the hydrangea?

Hand pulling when the weeds are small and before they can grow and spread roots and seeds is a good idea.
If it is a large area you can take wet newspaper and lay over the area. Then spread another layer of mulch over the paper, preferably clean mulch.

Any type of weed killer whether organic or chemical can kill the Hydrangea if it is exposed.
Vinegar and salts can build up in the soil.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/using-organic-herbicides.htm

00
Here are more questions about Weed Control