Hawthorn Trees

Thornless Cockspur Hawthorn Trees

I am considering artificial grass in the two narrow strips of land near the street curb in front of my house. There is a Cockspur Hawthorn in each strip of land. These little trees have been there for 5 years. They are healthy and provide a good screen between my house and the street. I do not want to destroy them, but I would like artificial grass to cover the hard-to-maintain soil around them. It is very hot in those areas in the afternoon in summer and I have found nothing that will grow around those trees. The plots look shabby. Would artificial grass be a safe application? Thank you, Ann Luke

Most of the research shows that placing artificial grass or turf over mature tree roots, and right up to the tree trunk pose no threat to the tree.

No research that I found had any specifics with tree type, so it's effect on a Hawthorn Tree, I could not verify.

Here are more questions about Hawthorn Trees