Grapefruit Trees

Thick Rind on Arizona Pink Grapefruit

Beth M. added on January 8, 2017 | Answered

The fruit on my pink grapefruit tree has a thick rind on it, about 10mm average. Is there something I can do to the soil via extra nutrients? Provide more water? Less water? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The tree is very established. I bought this property 5 years ago and the tree was here at that time. This is the first season that it has produced more than a dozen pieces of fruit, average size is that of a baseball, not very big. All my best, Beth

JeffreyGardener

I strongly recommend that you get a soil test. Thick rinds often indicate a lack of phosphorus intake and/or too much nitrogen intake. It's mainly the phosphorus that helps produce the blossoms and then the fruit. Read about it here on GardeningKnowHow: Why Citrus Fruit Get Thick Peels And Little Pulp https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/citrus-fruit-thick-rind.htm

10
Here are more questions about Grapefruit Trees