Horseradish Plants

Taste of Homegrown Horseradish

What can I do to make my horseradish plant have that nice hot bite to the taste again? It was originally my grandfather's and began in soil loaded with chicken manure. It was transplanted twice to its present location in my garden where it's been growing for several years. Every year, I amend my garden with chicken manure and compost, but still the horseradish tastes relatively bland in comparison with the nice bite it used to have. Any suggestions?

Believe it or not, you are probably over fertilizing it. It gets so much nutrients and grows so fast that the "flavor" is not as concentrated in the flesh of the root and therefore it tastes bland. Many herbs are like this. Don't fertilize it for a few years and you will see that bite return.

00
Here are more questions about Horseradish Plants