Schefflera Plants

Taking Care of House Plants in NYC

dave.arpit added on February 4, 2018 | Answered

Hello! I live on the 11th floor of an apartment that is facing south in New York City. I have six plants on my windowsill, and most of them are doing fine however my dwarf umbrella tree and my begonia are the most concerning to me. My dwarf umbrella tree seems to be not growing and the bottom leaves are yellowing. I recently read that may be an indication of over watering, if I could get some help with that it would be great! The begonia is what is scaring me more! Currently most of the leaves are falling off they are dry they seem to have white like tips at the end and there’s not much growth. please let me know how to take care of it properly! I haven’t been able to find proper gardening instructions for this red leaf begonia thank you

I can definitely help you with the Schefflera, or umbrella tree. This likes to dry out a little between waterings. They also like fertilizers applied at least once per year. They don't seem to tolerate unfiltered, and direct sunlight, so make sure this gets some amount of shade during the middle of the day. This time of year should not be too harsh on them, but if you see the leaves dropping more, then I would move it to a partially shaded location.

As for the red leaf begonia... This article will direct you on proper care: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/begonia/begonias.htm

00
Here are more questions about Schefflera Plants