Sunflower Plants

Sunflowers for a Wedding

My daughter is getting married in October (live in Topeka, KS) and wants to have sunflowers for her flowers at the ceremony and reception. Varieties include: -Girasol -mixed colors and Evening Sun -Autumn Beauty -Evening Sun -Lemon Queen -Red Sun When should I plant them, in order to have them blooming for October? Should I stagger them, plant some and then plant some more later?

It would be very hard to say exactly when to plant them in order to get them to bloom but it typically takes 50-90 days, which is a pretty wide range; but there are so many factors, from temps while growing to the variety that influence that. I would start planting in May or June and then do a new planting once a month for the next 2-3 months. That is really the only way you will be able to cover your bets, so to speak, and make sure you have sunflowers ready for the wedding.

00
Here are more questions about Sunflower Plants