Sunflower Plants
Q.

Sunflower seedlings and…

Zone 9a | snakeskins added on October 20, 2017 | Answered

This is certainly strange to me. Idk if this should be interesting or not but I need to know what causes this particular seedling to be white in color. I know with absolute certainty that the majority of them are young sunflowers as I feed them to the sparrows. They grow, unwantedly, everywhere in my garden(the green ones anyway)and I pick and weed them out regularly. I googled the cross-reference words and came up with no white seedlings in the photos. Please identify :) Thx in advance.

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

That Is a case of albinism. This is almost always fatal in plants. It lacks the ability to produce chlorophyll, which is what gives the plant its green color. This is also necessary for photosynthesis, which means the plant will die soon. It can't make energy for itself very long.

10

You have a seed with a genetic defect. It will die since the plant can't do photosynthesis with white leaves.

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Sunflower Plants
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More