Bean Plants

String Beans

I planted string bean plants in very large rectangular pots using Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil. The plants grew beautifully for the first few weeks, sprouting string beans almost immediately. One day beautiful healthy looking plants, next day all the leaves fell off the plants. What I have now are stems with tiny, skinny beans and no leaves. What happened? And what can I do?

Cathy

What you describe sounds like bacterial wilt. There's not much you can do to fix that, but you have plenty of time to replant. I would discard the soil and start with fresh as well, since the bacteria that cause wilt live in the soil. Sterilize your pots with bleach and rinse well before replanting. And since I am an organic gardener, I'd suggest you pick a good quality organic soil this time. That and a good quality liquid fertilizer will give you the same results, but be a lot healthier for you and your plants.

00
Here are more questions about Bean Plants