Birch Trees

Storage Shed to Build Near Very Mature Paper Birch Tree

I want to build a storage shed with a 4 inch thick re-enforced cement floor near a very Mature paper Birch tree. Yes, I do see a near surface tree root. It is about 2 inches in diameter. I was thinking of making sure the soil is built up and packed down and then have the cement poured over this. Is this ok? If so, how close to the base of the Birch trunk can I get? I've read a lot that this is not a good idea near young birch trees. Our tree is very mature - maybe 40 years or very likely older than that.

Tree roots and concrete are just never a good match! Roots will win in nearly every case and your expensive concrete will not.
It's best to either move the shed or move the tree. In most cases a new tree is much cheaper then the concrete.

Here are more questions about Birch Trees